The specific objectives of the Pakistan Domestic Biogas Programme are:
• Strengthening the institutionalisation of the biogas sector in Pakistan;
• Increased demand for domestic biogas technology in Punjab through raised awareness on benefits of biogas and access to appropriate financing mechanisms;
• Enhanced capacity of the private sector for installation of quality biogas plants and to offer after sales service in Punjab.
The purpose of the project is to develop a commercially viable domestic biogas sector nationwide. Main beneficiaries are the 14,000 rural households in Punjab who will benefit from installation of biogas digesters as a result of project activities; women especially will benefit from an improved kitchen environment, tremendous health benefits and reduced drudgery through reduced use of traditional fuel wood and animal dung.
The main objectives of the gender mainstreaming strategy are:
• Ensure the inclusion of gender- specific concepts, activities and outcomes, including gender –specific R&D, in successive project;
• Identify the points at which donor funding for Biogas links with all Government policies that concern energy;
• Try to ensure that at least one gender and energy expert is a member of the National Biogas steering committee;
• Recruit and train ‘gender-intelligent’ professional staff;
• Establish links with RSPs and service providers;
• Provide information to women household members so they are able to use and maintain the biogas plants efficiently;
• Contribute to knowledge on energy and related issues affecting women;
• Enable women to use time saved in entrepreneurial activities.